Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is anyone else not a fan of the ‘Spider Family’?

Am I the only one who isn’t a fan of ‘The Order’ or whatever we call Miles, Gwen, Cindy, Madame Web and other kids Spidey mentors? Spidey always teaming up with a bunch of other kids with spider-powers for every big story is something that started with Slott and now continues with Spencer. This isn’t an anti-diversity thing, this is a ‘I prefer Peter working alone’ thing. I wasn’t a fan of when he was an Avenger either. I have nothing against the characters personally, I just think having all those bit players working under Spidey takes away a bit of what I used to love about his lone wolf M.O.

Spectacular Member

I hate every single Spider-character except for Miles. The others are useless at best (Spider-Gwen is the worst of them all).

BANNED

The addition of similarly powered characters is what made Superman most ridiculous in the 50's, and I don't see how it can help Spider-Man. This an giving powers to almost anyone in the cast (if only temporarily) are good signs of a rampant lack of creativity.

I don't like spider-family. I don't mind Jess, Spider-Gwen and Miles, but there are just too many of these characters in 616 I preferred Miles in the Ultimate Universe and Gwen at her home universe.

Order of the Web sounds cheap and comical. With so many Spider characters now, Peter is not special.

I would also complain about Miles superhero name, but what else would we call him? Spider-Kid? Spider-Boy? Tarantula? it doesn't fit very well.

If it were up to me, I'd have left Ben Reilly, Kaine and Peter at 616.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Am I the only one who isn’t a fan of ‘The Order’ or whatever we call Miles, Gwen, Cindy, Madame Web and other kids Spidey mentors? Spidey always teaming up with a bunch of other kids with spider-powers for every big story is something that started with Slott and now continues with Spencer. This isn’t an anti-diversity thing, this is a ‘I prefer Peter working alone’ thing. I wasn’t a fan of when he was an Avenger either. I have nothing against the characters personally, I just think having all those bit players working under Spidey takes away a bit of what I used to love about his lone wolf M.O.
    I am certainly one who does not like Order Of The Web. Even the name reminds me of the Totem and The Other. I do not mind Miles and I liked Annie in Renew Your Vows, but I despise Cindy and the rest do nothing for me. Why are they doing it? One poster pointed out that Gwen is a popular character with younger audiences and ( or) casual fans.

I'm ok with Peter having allies, I just don't care for all of them having spider-powers. Same with the Flash with everyone being a speedster and the Hulk with everyone being gamma powered etc.

Edit- . Its the Shonen anime fan in me. Everyone with their own distinct powers appeals to me more than everyone with the same set.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-17-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    I don't like spider-family. I don't mind Jess, Spider-Gwen and Miles, but there are just too many of these characters in 616 I preferred Miles in the Ultimate Universe and Gwen at her home universe.

Order of the Web sounds cheap and comical. With so many Spider characters now, Peter is not special.

I would also complain about Miles superhero name, but what else would we call him? Spider-Kid? Spider-Boy? Tarantula? it doesn't fit very well.

If it were up to me, I'd have left Ben Reilly, Kaine and Peter at 616.
    So true about that.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 10-17-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm ok with Peter having allies, I just don't care for all of them having spider-powers. Same with the Flash with everyone being a speedster and the Hulk with everyone being gamma powered etc.
    As you might know, there is a Spider-verse version of Dr. Bruce Banner as Spider-Man and a Hulk-verse version of Peter Parker as The Hulk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I agree with this. Yet at the same time if you look at HUNTED, where it's just Peter, his rogues, and Black Cat.

So in a sense this is the first time we have the entire Spider-Family story in Spencer's run. So I don't think this will always be the case of every and any event going forward.

I don't think Spider-Man is in the Avengers anymore so thank god he left those losers.

Astonishing Member

Don’t worry. Writers specifically go out of their way to sabotage any sort of Spider-Family, so that it never gets off the ground.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Don’t worry. Writers specifically go out of their way to sabotage any sort of Spider-Family, so that it never gets off the ground.
    Which is sad because it would bring exposure to the members who get ignored by the readers in other titles. To kill off a money maker is dumb. To create a Spider-Man family whose member share the same origin with Peter Parker is dumb. Differences among the character's orgin and background experience makes the stories interesting among them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I agree with this. Yet at the same time if you look at HUNTED, where it's just Peter, his rogues, and Black Cat.

So in a sense this is the first time we have the entire Spider-Family story in Spencer's run. So I don't think this will always be the case of every and any event going forward.

I don't think Spider-Man is in the Avengers anymore so thank god he left those losers.
    Peter Parker could have fit in well with Jason Arron's Avengers lineup. He would fit in well on Captain Marvel's team. The team-up books was meant to expose characters who do not get noticed by the readers. It works for Superman and Batman. It can work for Spider-Man under a good writer.

BANNED

The concept of all these spider powered people being connected through some sort of mystical web makes me cringe. I wished they stopped with Jess. Every other one is just redundant.

I'm mixed on this. It makes Peter less special, but I do understand the representation argument.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I like them in isolation but I really don't feel like they work well together as a group aside from an occasional team-up, especially since none of them really naturally fit into Peter's orbit all that well.

And that includes adaptions.